I know, I know. I get it. This title sounds super ‘click-baity’, but bear with me for a few seconds.
This is NOT an article that includes “5 top tips for ranking high in Google” or “the Secret Sauce to SEO”, nope.
This is a real life evergreen strategic approach in how to gradually, organically increase your credibility with Google, and become a trustful authority in their eyes, in turn, EARNING you a higher spot on the page.
I use the word EARNING because that’s really what it comes down to. As in life, there are no shortcuts, no magic keywords, and no wish granting SEO genies.
Whenever clients ask me about SEO, I break it down to them in two aspects, and I find this explanation is the one that makes the most sense to them, and puts the onus back on them to create quality content. Please feel free to take this script and share it with your clients the next time they ask “How do I get a high Google ranking?”
Basically there are two components to SEO. Structural SEO and Content SEO. Let’s explore what the difference is.
As a Developer, this is where I can be of tremendous value. When a site is built well, it can rank higher. The structural components that contribute to good SEO are the following:
- Correct hierarchy for Heading Tags (H1 – H6)
- The appropriate uses of Background Images vs HTML Image Elements
- Correct screen reader tabbing (and overall compliance with accessibility)
- Alt tags on images
- Site Speed, and loading optimization (fonts, images…)
- Clean Semantic Code (This is somewhat subjective)
- Heading elements and meta-tags
- Unique featured images
So, let’s break it down